Sunday, December 28, 2014

Early Christmas present for Hoot

Hoot and I went herding with Cappy on Christmas Eve. 

Each time I put Hoot on sheep at this point she changes dramatically.  This time her confidence was amazing, had just a bit of trouble lying her down, and more than a bit pulling her off the stock when it was time to rest.  Also, some snipping came out (wanting to bit the sheep).

Cappy and I worked mostly on Hoot keeping her distance from the sheep and preventing her building a bad habit of biting the sheep.  I was trying to learn how to keep her back, and recognize when she is going to come into the sheep.  Funny, with as much dog language as I am aware of, behavior and agility, I have something to learn with herding.  I probably have seen it all before, but I need to put it in this context.  Which is a great reason why I blog.  If I write it down, it helps me put it in context and remember it.

So, coming into the sheep...  Hoot would have direct eye contact with the sheep when she was going to dive in, similar to what you see before a dog attacks another dog.  Cappy was having me work to keep her eye contact indirect, keep the sheep calmer and she won't dive into the sheep.  Also, when she lies down, how to point the stick so that her first move is away from the sheep.

I really don't mind feeling like a complete novice again.  Basic things like what to do with my training stick.  The coordination of moving it from one hand to another as Hoot changes sides, how to reach over the sheep to slap the ground or throw dirt, discouraging Hoot from diving in and staying off the sheep.

Hoot is a smart girl, if I let her she will have me trained in no time.  Cappy was pointing out how that will happen if I am not smart.  Hoot would flank ahead of the sheep and wait, wanting me to bring the sheep to her.  I need to make sure I am diligent in instructing her to get back around.  Eventually this could lead to Hoot just heading off the sheep.

I have to say I am very quiet and calm with my dogs.  The thought of taking a stick and slapping the ground to communicate is not my nature.  But, herding brings out the prey drive in Hoot and if I am not serious with Hoot, she will walk all over me and the sheep.  This is the first time that I have really seen her be this strong and determined.  She is a pushy bitch on sheep.

There is so much to learn in the beginning, just like agility.  Trying to train a dog while you are training yourself.  I know I will make mistakes, but I am hoping that if I get good help in the beginning, we can prevent/minimize most of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment