Friday, January 2, 2015

Hoot's Running Dog Walk Update

Again I am thinking, running contacts is such a manic-depressive experience!  I remember this when I was training Tangle and Split.

We have several sessions where Hoot was kind of leaping off, giving me three strides and generally not hitting the contact.  Induced depression in the trainer of the running contacts.

So, I posted to Silvia's site, she once again reminded me that I need to change the starting point.  Well, I had been changing it to find the new sweet spot, but I had a mental barrier apparently.  I didn't think to change it to the spot that had been her VERY WORSE starting point ever.  So, I played with her starting point and we are now at 12 feet (use to be 20).  Success!

The sweet spot changes because the dog gains physical strength and confidence.

This is the second session at the new starting point.  Also previously Hoot couldn't take much movement on my part, throwing the toy late, static toy, or really much change at all.  I secretly thought to myself, "I am doomed".  But perseverance is my middle name, I don't give up easily and sometimes not at all.

So, new starting point and something in the air and all of the sudden I can run with her, she can run to a static toy, she can run to no toy, run with a barrier at the end of the DW, what changed?  Confidence I suspect.  This made a light bulb come on and Hoot has made HUGE progress in just two sessions.


Ah, the manic part of the RDW experience and you are hooked again!

No comments:

Post a Comment