Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Learning my power

One thing I have learned about dog training, it isn't all about the dog!  As a trainer many times it is about the handler and their learning curve.  Once we figure out how to communicate with our dogs, the dogs are brilliant.

In the last couple of months I have been studying up on herding.  I have been trying to learn what I can at my novice stage without my dog.  Hoot is an amazing dog, great herding potential so I want to learn as much as I can so that our journey is as productive as I am capable of making it.  That is a nice way of saying, so I don't screw her up.  And I will, I already know that. But if I can minimize it I will.  But this is Hoot's and my journey and where ever that takes us is OK.



This is from our lesson yesterday.  It was toward the end so Hoot was settling down which was helpful.

This lesson was really fun for me since I really began to feel where I need my power to be to get Hoot where I need her to be.  Hoot has matured a bit since our last herding lesson and she didn't have any side preferences.  That seems to have gone away.  Her lie downs and control were awesome.  Proud of my little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment