Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Impulse Control

My whole pack decided to have an intervention last night and sat me down.  They explained to me that it was time that Hoot loose some of her puppy license and that I begin to require some impulse control.

There is wisdom in this pack!

Here is a video of this morning's session.  Hoot has a really tough time with over stimulation on the agility field.  When she gets over stimulated (more instinct talking than conscious brain) she wants to keep her distance (watchful from a distance), can't come, can't follow commands and can't play.



I took her out and this is how she earned her breakfast.

I had several objectives.
  • I wanted to keep the excitement level fairly low so that she could engage her brain
  • I wanted her attention to be focused around me
  • I wanted her to be able to demonstrate that she was consciously choosing to be with me and resist things that typically are irresistible
The recall foundation comes in with my basic belief, it is the dog's responsibility to keep track of me.  Not the other way around.  When I am walking in the woods or in a park, I want them to choose to keep checking in with me.  If I take another path, they need to keep track of me.  I am fine if they run around and wonder, but not OK if they don't check in.  I think that this makes recalls easier.  I have VALUE and they WANT to check in (hence COME). 

I was asking Hoot to choose to be with me.  If she runs off it won't be nearly as rewarding as what I have to offer when she sticks with me.

I worked a lot with her on my right side.  That is the side that is the toughest for her, she wants to cut behind me.  I was also helping very subtly.  When she would wonder off, I would change direction.

I am rewarding with food and play involving the tunnel, which is VERY high value to her.

When she has a good command of a session like today, I will start to use things with more excitement--toys, running, sending her to obstacles, other dogs, etc...


No comments:

Post a Comment