Thursday, July 10, 2014

It isn't that simple!

I have been reading a book "Herding Dogs, Progressive Training" by Vergil Holland. One of the concepts in there really gave me more incite into the border collie brain. He talked about teaching a young dog and keeping the stress low. In that you have to work *with* the instinct of the dog. Going against the instinct in the beginning creates stress. I believe this to be very true.

These dogs are breed to herd. That is, think, gather, collect, drive, and work with the human. Put yourself in border collie shoes for a moment. Walk onto a field (any field) and there are three dogs. Your instinct kicks in and you must create balance, keep them contained, and be in a position to get control should things get out of hand.

That kind of describes what I believe little Hoot is seeing through her eyes. It isn't the complete story to say "she is sensitive to motion", or "she is overstimulated". It just isn't that simple and I am not doing her justice by explaining things that simply.

At that moment when I am on the field with Hoot and the other dogs and she is "herding" them, I am very confident that if a bike went by she wouldn't chase it, nor give it more than a glance. That bike isn't her work, the dogs are! So to say "she is sensitive to motion" doesn't fully express what is going on.



Overstimulated implies that she is beyond thinking, she is not. She is not thinking about my agenda, but she is very capable of thinking and reasoning at that moment. It is just her agenda.

This happened this morning. Hoot was on a long line, I had to let it go for safety reasons. So, she went into work mode and began to herd the boys. There was no way I was getting her back. She wasn't going to run away, she wasn't going to stray, and it wasn't about staying away from me (completely). She was working (her work). So, we all ran back to the car, I put the boys in. I stood there and looked at Hoot, she stayed in position ready to be on task. I sat down, and without a word on my part she came running to me and greeted me like she missed me. The very act of sitting down communicated to her our work was done and she could relax.

In the long run do I want this to always be the cue to stop work, certainly not. But, it was valuable incite and a message Hoot understood.

Training a dog is about developing that common language. First we use very simple sentences, like me just sitting down. Then we can begin to form more complex messages, sitting down and saying "That will do". So, eventually Hoot just needs the "That will do" to understand that her work is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment